Private Napoleon in Paris Walking Tour
Follow us on our Napoleon Tour in Paris. Discover the favorite district of the lieutenant Bonaparte and how later on the young general opened his way to power in Paris. Figure out the plans of Emperor Napoleon to make Paris a capital which suits his newly built Europe! Enjoy an extensive 3 hours really private tour in the footsteps of Napoleon to discover Paris under Napoleon with a passionate postgraduate fully licensed tour guide.
Napoleon in Paris Private Tour Essentials
150 € for 1 to 2 people + 40 € per extra person
- +/- 3-hour Guided tour in English
- Really private = your party only (6 people max.)
- +/- 6.5 km distance covered
- Postgraduate (MPhil) local licensed guide lecturer
- Flexible schedule
If you plan to visit Napoleon Tomb after the tour by yourself don’t book a tour departure after 1PM (13h).
KNOW MORE / BOOK
What’s in the tour?
Paris Dreamed City of Napoleon
Diplomaty Politics & Military Glory
Napoleon Life & History in Paris
The Arts under Napoleon
Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel
Three Famous Paris Gardens
Three Royal Squares
Place des Victoires
Place de la Concorde
Senic Views from River Seine Bridges & Quays
Pont des Arts
Institut de France
Pont Alexandre III
Why a Napoleon Tour in Paris?
Because Paris is definitely the place where Napoleon left his most important marks. There are a lot of ways to follow in the footsteps of Napoleon In Paris as for example:
- tracing the young officer during the French Revolution,
- searching the remaining symbols of his military glory,
- following the protector of the Arts and Sciences,
but before all, we will discover the dream of an emperor to make Paris the capital city of its new-built Europe.
Napoleon in Paris Private Tour Spirit
So opposite to other Napoleon tours, we do not include in our standard tour places that you can easily visit without a guide (such as Invalides for example).
Nevertheless, If you want to do a short visit to Napoleon Tomb by yourself after the tour, it is normally possible if you book a tour departure, not after 1 PM (13h), it is all explained in the after the tour section.
We can also for sure organize more extensive Napoleon tours adding extensions to our route y/or visit of museums.
Your Private Tour Guide in Paris
Certified French national guide
BA, Magna Cum Laude, Heritage Developpement & Preservation from Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers
Postgraduate from Paris Dauphine-PSL University
We Definitely believe that our Napoleon Private tour
Is the most efficient way to discover the Paris of Napoleon!
Napoleon Tour Content
The Young Officer Bonaparte in Paris
- His adventures in the Palais Royal
- The hotels where Bonaparte stays in 1787 and 1792 (evocation)
- Bonaparte witness the fall of monarchy on the 10th of August 1792
- Where was the assembly where the king and his family take refuge
Bonaparte an Ambitious General in Paris
- The man of Barras
- Battle of 13 Vendémiaire (5 October 1795): Saint-Roch Church
Napoleon Bonaparte and Joséphine
- The first husband of Joséphine the grandfather of Napoleon III
- Barras present future Empress Joséphine to Bonaparte
- Place of the marriage of Napoléon and Joséphine
Symbols of Napoleon Military Glory and Army
- Colonne vendôme
- Desaix monument (evocation)
- Arc de Triomphe (Triumphal Arch)
- Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel
- La Madeleine church (a temple to the Grande Armée)
Napoleon and the Economy
- The Palais Brongniart (Paris stock exchange)
- The « Banque de France » created by First Consul Bonaparte (January 18, 1800)
- The « Cour des Comptes » (the State finance auditing agency) a disappeared building which was located where now is Musée d’Orsay
Napoleon and the Arts
- Legendary « Musée des Monuments Français » (evocation)
- Palais des Beaux-Arts ( Fine Arts Palace, nowadays the institute)
- The Pont des Arts (Arts Bridge), first metallic structure in Paris
- The « Muséum Central des Arts » becomes the « Musée Napoléon » nowadays Le Louvre Museum.
Mansions of Napoleon Family and Empire Dignitaries
The Hôtel Particuliers (mansions) where were staying Laetizia Bonaparte (Napoleon’s mother), Lucien or Jérôme Bonaparte (Napoleon’s younger brothers), Eugène de Beauharnais (son of Empress Joséphine), Marshals Ney, Lannes, Davout, Mortier, etc.
- Joseph Fouché: the unavoidable Minister of Police.
- François Vidocq: founder of the crime-detection department « Sûreté« , he inspired Victor Hugo for his main character Jean Valjean in Les Misérables.
Napoleon and the USA
- Louisiana purchase: deal history, place where was signed the treaty
- The Bonapartes in America
Napoleon and its Diplomacy
- Hôtel de la Vrillière in which was living Napoleon famous minister of foreign affairs Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord.
Architectural Style of Napoleon in Paris
- The Empire Style an ostentatious form of Neoclassicism
- Napoleon’s architects Percier and Fountaine
Paris the Dreamed City of Napoleon
Napoleon transformed the old still mainly medieval Paris into one of the most enlightened cities in Europe. His work is huge: Inforcing streets numbering, finishing the Louvre palace, creating the rue de Rivoli and a new district for Paris, creating markets, fountains, quays, sidewalks, sewers, etc. The ambition of Napoleon for Paris, a city he wanted to convert to the capital of Europe, was without limit.
And Much More about Napoleon in Paris
- The communications in the great Empire
- Former palace of Tuileries (evocation)
- The Egyptian Expedition,
- The former Café de Chartres were used to come to Bonaparte and most of the figures of the French Révolution. The former shop of the hat provider of Napoleon etc.
Two Extra Aspects of the Napoleon Tour
Napoleon III the other French Emperor
Learn about the other French Emperor Napoleon III, the nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Learn how Napoleon III, 37 years after the dramatic fall of the First French Empire continued his uncle project of a new redesigned Paris and how the Second Empire is given high credit for the rebuilding of Paris with broad boulevards as on our route: Avenue de l’Opéra, rue de Rivoli or Boulevard Saint-Germain.
Also Learned about his wife, Eugénie de Montijo, the last French Empress who was still alive in 1919 and the sade story of their only son, the Prince Imperial who died in South-Africa during the Anglo-Zulu War under the British Flag.
Parisian Word Famous Luxe and Chic
Our tour route cross one of the world’s most famous international iconic deluxe zone with rue de la Paix (part of the Napoleonic urbanistic program and formerly called rue Napoleon) and place Vendôme (formerly Royal Square Louis-le-Grand). The area is a showcase for luxury goods. Most of the world’s great jewelry brands have their most prestigious representation there: Dior, Channel, Piaget, Bvlgari, Chopard, Louis Vuitton, Boucheron, Cartier, Rolex, Van Cleef & Arpels, etc.
Our route will also cross three of the world’s most famous hotels: Le Meurice and Hôtel de Crillon which are two Palace hotels and Le Ritz is an iconic world-class luxury hotel, a symbol of high society and luxury.
End of the Tour – What to Do After
Tour End Location
It is not possible to tell you where the tour ends exactly in such a long tour it is depending a lot on the customer (the number of questions asked, the walking pace, etc.) or any other contingency. If everything goes well we should normally end the tour around place de la Concorde. If we are exceptionally efficient we may reach the Esplanades des Invalides midway between the Invalides and the Seine River.
What to do After: Leaving the Area
From Place de la Concorde: métro lines 1, 8 & 12.
From Esplanade des Invalides: métro Line 8 & 13, RER C.
What to do After: Continue with Napoleon
If you plan to do a (short) visit to Musée de la Légion d’Honneur or Invalides (Napoleon Tomb), don’t book a tour departure after 1PM (13h), if you want to have a chance to reach it.
Invalides & Napoléon Tomb, if still open. +/- 1300 meters from Place de la Concorde, +/- 350 meters from the middle of esplanade des Invalides.
Musée de la Légion d’Honneur [Temporary closed till June 2022], if still open. +/- 900 meters from Place de la Concorde, +/- 950 meters from the middle of Esplanade des Invalides.
Prepare your Napoleon Guided Tour
Few Milestones of the Napoleon Epic
- August 15, 1769, birth of Napoleon in Ajaccio
- October 17, 1797, after his victorious campaign in Italy General Bonaparte signed the treaty of Campo Formio with Austria.
- November 9, 1799 (« 18th Brumaire »): coup d’état Napoleon became First Consul of the French Republic .
- December 2, 1804: Napoleon became Emperor of the French
- December 2, 1805: Battle of Austerlitz
- June 14, 1807, Battle of Friedland
- June 18, 1815: Battle of Waterloo
- May 5, 1821: Napoleon died at Saint Helena
- December 15, 1840 Napoleon reburial in Invalides
Napoleon Tour Historical Figures
- Lucien Bonaparte, as president of the Council of Five Hundred this brother of Napoleon was part of the Coup of 18 Brumaire.
- General Desaix, hero of the decisive battle of Marengo
- Hortense and Eugène de Beauharnais (children of Empress Joséphine)
- Marshal Lannes, Napoleon’s comrade in arms
- Marshal Ney, nicknamed the bravest of the bravest by Napoleon
- Marshal Davout, a military legend; the only Napoleon’s Marshal undefeated in battle
- Marshal Mortier, many time in command of the Imperial Guard
- Jérome Bonaparte King of Westphalia, Napoleon’s youngest brother was still active during the Second French Empire of Napoleon III.
Possible Tour Extensions in Other Napoleon SiteS in Paris
Predesigned Napoleon in Paris Full-Day Tour
The route of the 3-hour Napoleon private tour in Paris has been designed to concentrate a maximum of Napoleon-related places.
But the tour has also been designed to easily authorize extensions. Extensions of the route as a museum visit. Following this principle we have designed a Napoleon in Paris full-day tour with :
- The 3-hours Napoleon in Paris Tour
- + A Napoleon Oriented Louvre Tour
- + A Pont-des-arts & rue Bonaparte Walk
- + the Napoleon Tomb in the Invalides.
On-Demand Extended Napoleon in Paris Guided Tour
The way we have extended our Napoleon 3-hour tour to create our Napoleon full-day tour is far to be the only one, There are many possibilities, extensions of the route can be made in all directions.
- WEST: Palais de l’Elysée former palace of Murat & Caroline Bonaparte in which Napoleon spent his last days in Paris after Waterloo.
- NORTH: Rue de la Victoire where was the only house Napoleon own as a private citizen, his residence till 1799. Passage des Panoramas etc.,
- EAST: Notre-Dame, the place of Napoleon’s coronation.
- SOUTH-WEST: Ecole Militaire where young Bonaparte got the privilege to be a student,
- SOUTH: Palais du Petit Luxembourg, the residence of the First Consul, rue Bonaparte, still existing shop of the chocolate provider of Napoleon and the last French kings, place where Marshall Ney was shooted, etc.
These extensions can also be visits to monuments and museums:
- At Le Louvre Museum: the great collection of masterpieces painted by First Empire artists as famous as Jacques-Louis David, Antoine-Jean Gros, or François Gérard.
- Légion d’Honneur Museum: founded by Napoleon the highest French order has its own museum in hôtel de Salm.
- Les Invalides: Napoleon Tomb.
- Les invalides: Musée de l’Armée with plenty of Napoleon-related objets from uniforms to marshals’ batons.
- Panthéon: Tombs of many Napoleonic period dignitaries (for example Marshal Lannes).
Contact us if you need a customized extended tour
Other Napoleon Sites in Paris Area
Malmaison: The house of Empress Joséphine and Napoleon.
Château de Rambouillet: Napoleon spent there from 29 to 30 June of 1815 his last night in the Paris area before leaving to meet his final fate.
Château de Compiègne where Napoléon Received and first meet Archduchess Marie Louise of Austria the future empress.
Château de Fontainebleau where Napoleon left his soldiers before departing for his first exile on the island of Elba.
Parc de Saint-Cloud: The château de Saint-Cloud (destroyed) was the residence of Bonaparte when he was First Consul of the French Republic.
Grand Trianon (Versailles) was fully refurnished by Napoleon who stayed there on various occasions. Most of the rooms are still furnished in the Empire Style.
Château de Maisons-Laffitte former property of Marshal Lannes.
Reuil Malmaison, Saint-Pierre-Saint-Paul church: Tomb of Empress Joséphine.
Saint-Leu-la-Forêt, Saint-Leu-Saint-Gilles church: Tomb of Louis Bonaparte (Napoleon’s brother, king of Holland).
Napoleon OUTSIDE of Paris Area
Château d’Orléans-la-Source: Napoleon never went there, but at only +/- 120 km of Paris the place is fascinating for a real fan of the First Empire. It is where Marshal Davout gave the submission of the rest of Napoleon forces (standing along the Loire River) after Waterloo. It was the 14th of July of 1815, the final end of the Grande Armée. Next morning at first light Napoleon embarked on board the Bellerophon and made himself prisoner of the English. The Château can’t be visited but we propose a tour of the park of the château one of France most beautiful gardens ( 35 hectares).
Napoleon in Paris Guided Tour Reviews
Excellent Private Tour on the Life and Times of Napoleon Bonaparte
We had a terrific tour of the many sites in Paris related to the life and times of Napoleon Bonaparte by our tour guide Yves. He was knowledgeable, friendly, and really tailored the tour to our interest. Being that we are from the US, he also pointed out many sites related to early American events such as visits by Ben Franklin and places such as the signing of the Louisiana Purchase and armistice between the US and Great Britain. The tour was packed with information and be prepared to see a lot of sites. The highlight for us was the visit to Les Invalides where Napoleon is buried.
Napoleon Tour in Paris
Myself and my partner took part in a Napoleon tour organised by Broaden Horizons and conducted by the wonderful Yves. It really was a fantastic 4 hours walking through the streets of Paris with someone who was both passionate and knowledgable about his topic. Yves was also fun to be with and actually continued the tour beyond its finish time to be sure every topic was covered. A genuinely fantastic time and one we will both remember for a long time. Thank you Yves.
Things to know before Booking
Next to the exit of the metro station « Grands Boulevards » in the 2nd arrondissement (district) of Paris.
Access: Metro station « Grands Boulevards », line 8 or line 9.
Napoleon in Paris Private Tour Attention Points
- Tour is on foot covering +/- 6.5 km so good health and comfortable shoes are highly recommended.
- Prices do not include transportation, food, drinks, or any other extra services.
- We don’t enter monuments or museums, more specifically we don’t enter in Invalides.
- Some monuments can be presented from far: for example Arc de Triomphe.
- Tour duration, distance covered & content are purely indicative, they may vary due to contingencies.
Book your Napoleon in Paris Private Tour
Choose below your tour: You will then be asked : -> choose the number of people, date & hours of visit -> after our validation-> pay on line.
Private Tour Napoleon in ParisExtended tour (3 hours)
For 1 to 2 people + 40 € for any extra person
A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours