Paris Le Marais Walking Tour
With Private Licensed Guide Lecturer
Our Paris Le Marais Walking Tour is not like the others: it starts in île de la Cité in front of Notre-Dame Cathedral. Why? We think this is a great way to discover and understand the evolution of Paris from Gallo-Roman origine to the medieval era, from Notre-Dame early gothic to Renaissance Design and to le Marais 17th century hôtels particuliers mansions. You will see with your private licensed guide lecturer at broaden-horizon.fr how effective is our Le Marais walk approach. So, if you want to really understand more about Paris, just book with us now !
View of Paris Notre-Dame Cathedral chevet and Pope John XXIII Garden on Ile de la Cité. On the right : Ile Saint-Louis south bank. In the foreground the Pont de Sully bridge crossing the Seine River. Our Paris Le Marais Walking Tour starts right there on Île Saint-Louis but on the other side of Notre-Dame.
Why our Le Marais Walking Tour starts from Notre-Dame ?
Well, just because it is more logical to start to visit a city from the beginning.
This tour does not only give you the opportunity to discover some of the most important landmarks of Paris, it is before all the best way to understand the evolution of the city from Roman Empire to the modern era.
A tour definitively designed for those who like history.
The Le Marais Walking Tour is definitively
for a first visit of Paris!
Notre-Dame Cathedral harmonic facade with its two symmetrical towers in the morning light. Damaged during the French Revolution the facade was restored in the 19th century by architect Eugène Violet le Duc. Beneath the parvis (from which start our le Marais Guided Tour) is an archeological crypt where are some vestiges of Gallo-Roman Paris (entry 8 €).
Paris Le Marais Walking Tour content
Île de la Cité: the heart of Paris
This Island is well known to be the island where is located Notre-Dame, the Paris cathedral, one of the most visited and photographed locations in the whole world. But the Cité island is also the historical heart of Paris, it was in the first centuries of our era the place where was standing a Gallo-Roman city first called Lutecia, which name changed during the begining of the 4th century in civitas Parisiorum shorten in Paris.
Notre-Dame: gothic splendor
This cathedral is a work of art and poetry. We will start by admiring the details of the facade and go into the symbolism evoked by the artists who built and eventually restored Notre-Dame.
We will get a small taste of the fear and sheer despair felt by the prisoners who were asked to beg for forgiveness and redeem themselves right before they die in front of the portal portraying The Last Judgment .
We will look at the gargoyles, the statues, the shapes, the flying buttresses, the parvis…
Île Saint-Louis: entry gate of Le Marais
We will then walk through some of the quainter and more quiet places passing along Isle Saint-Louis finally reaching Le Marais.
Charming Saint-Louis Bridge links Cité Island and Saint-Louis Island, the place is often animated by street painters, singers or musicians, and allows a nice view on two important monuments of the Le Marais west-end.
- Tour Saint-Jacques: a route of Santiago de Compostela UNESCO World Heritage monument.
- Hôtel de Ville: The Paris City Hall, drew by famous Italian Renaissance architect Boccador.
Previously used as a pastureland the Saint-Louis island was only urbanized during the 17th century and it is full of hôtels particuliers (private mansions) of the time. They are so many of them that the place is often called « the island of the mansions ».
Ile Saint-Louis is also well known for its famous Bertillon Ice Creams which have the reputation to be the best of Paris.
Night view of illuminated Pont Marie, one of the oldest bridges of Paris (1365). The bridge links the right bank of the Seine River (le Marais), on the left of the picture and Saint-Louis Island on the right. The view is taken from the bridge we will cross during our Le Marais Guided Tour.
Le Marais: Paris’s history storefront
This district of Paris, as Ile Saint-Louis, is mainly known for its 17th- century Hôtels Particuliers. Nevertheless we will see that Middle Ages also left their mark there. The discovery of medieval Paris is an important aspect of our Notre-Dame to Le Marais Walking Tour.
In fact, Le Marais is one of the oldest districts of Paris which follows the traces of the ancient French kings as well as the various revolutions and riots which were not too scarce in the Paris of the past.
After evoking disappeared fortresses and royal palaces, the tour will come to an end as we pass through the unexpectedly quiet urban Village Saint Paul where tourists are encouraged to take in the beauty and peace of this off-the-beaten-track spot in Paris.
Place des Vosges: Le Marais royal Square
Ultimately, our Le Marais Guided Tour will come to a full close at the prestigious Place des Vosges, initially named « Place Royale », it is the oldest square of Paris, and the most famous sightseeing of Le Marais. Built by the willingness of Henri IV, it is finally inaugurated for King Louis XIII wedding in 1610. few times later the square became famous for its sword fighting duels as related in famous Three Musketeers Alexandre Dumas Novel.
The place des Vosges, formerly Paris Royal Square. Victor Hugo lived at the second floor of the hôtel particulier located at number 6 of the square where is now the Maison de Victor Hugo a City of Paris Museum with free entrance for permanent collection.
More about Paris Le Marais Walking Tour
Historical periods broached during the tour
- Roman Empire, the begining of Paris
- Middle Ages, an amazing demographic and cultural growth
- 17th century, « Le Grand Siecle », Le Marais apogee
- French Revolution, a big impact on Paris monuments
- First and Second Empires, Paris transformation eras
An architecture oriented guided tour
- High Middle Age Gothic versus jesuitical Baroque.
- Canonical versus non-canonical church orientation.
- Medieval timbered houses, cellars and alleyways.
- Civil Gothic with watch turrets, pinnacles and gables.
- The Italian origin of the Renaissance architecture.
- Doric, Ionic and Corinthian architectural orders.
- Classical 17th hôtels particuliers « between court & garden » layout with their stone, or brick and stone facades.
People we will speak about during our Le Marais walk
- Richard the Lionheart: King of England.
- Saint-Louis, Philippe-Auguste, Charles V, Henri II, Catherine de Médicis, Henri IV, Louis XIII: Queens and Kings of France.
- Napoleon I, Napoleon III: French Emperors.
- Cardinal de Richelieu, Duc de Sully: French ministers.
- Gabriel, Comte de Montgomery: Capitain of the Scots Guard.
- Boccador: Italian architect of the Renaissance
- Victor Hugo the famous writer.
- Eugène Violet le Duc: 19th-century french architect.
- Jim Morrison: American singer and poet
Tour booking information
Know your Licensed Guide in Paris
- State-graduate licensed guide lecturer.
- Bachelor with honors in Heritage Developpement & Preservation from Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers
- Postgraduate from Paris-Dauphine University.
Paris Le Marais Walking Tour Highlights
- Private 2-hour tour.
- Get a glimpse of Paris history from Roman empire to 19th-century.
- Notre-Dame, Île de la cité, Île Saint-Louis.
- Saint-Gervais Saint-Protais and Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis Churches.
- Hôtel de Sens, Hôtel de Beauvais, Hôtel de Sully.
- 13th century ancient Wall of Paris, Village Saint-Paul, place des Vosges.
- The opportunity to ask your dedicated guide any related questions.
In front of the Notre-Dame Cathedral,
at the huge Charlemagne statue.
Access: Metro line 4 station Cité or Saint-Michel. RER B or C station Saint-Michel – Notre-Dame.
Paris Le Marais Tour Attention Points
- Tour is on food.
- Prices do not include transportation, food, drinks or any other extra services.
- Neighborhood tour: we don’t enter in monuments unless otherwise specified. More specifically here we don’t enter in Notre-Dame
- Tour duration & content are purely indicative, they may vary due to contingencies.
- Weather: the tour will start on schedule rain or shine.
Choose below your tour: You will then be asked : -> choose the number of people, date & hour of visit -> after our validation-> pay on line.
Choose below your tour
You will then be asked :
- choose number of people, date & hour of visit
- after our validation
- pay on line
Le Marais Walking TourExtended tour (2 hours)
For 1 to 2 people + 25€ for any extra person
A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours
Le Marais Walking TourFamily offer tour (2 hours)
For 1 to 2 adults + a max of 4 children (under 16 years old)
A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours
Any questions? Write at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bust of Victor Hugo photo, the famous French writer author of the Hunchback of Notre-Dame de Paris. You will see that the novelist will « follow » us all along during our Notre-Dame to Le Marais Walking Tour. Credit Pixabay 139904
Our services in Paris
Broaden Horizons Paris
Paris walks in English
- Orsay Museum guided tour
- Notre-Dame to Le Marais tour
- Half-day tour
- Full-day tour
Paris guided tour services
- Open public walking tour
- Private VIP (till 6) tour
- Large group (till 25) tour
- Custom-made tour
- Professionals, corporates, B2B
Your licensed guide in Paris is the holder of card n° CG 17-45-05, he is a member of FNGIC which is a member of the World Federation of Tourist Guide Associations.