Private Tour Musée d’Orsay and Saint-Germain-des-Prés Neighborhood
Why a private tour of Musée d’Orsay and Saint-Germain-des-prés together? Because we believe that this is an optimum combination for those who are interesed in arts and architecture. The tour is done by a fully Licensed guide who is passionate in Art and History who will make you travel back in time from 19th century French revolution in painting to 6th century early merovigian middel-age.
Private Tour Musée d’Orsay and Saint-Germain-des-prés neighborhood Essentials
- Guided tour in English
- Really private 4 hours tour
- Adjustable content
- A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours (your party only)
- With or without Skip-the-line tickets included
- M.Phil.-level local licensed guide lecturer
Why a Private Tour of Orsay Museum and Saint-Germain-des-Prés Together?
Because Orsay Museum and Saint-Germain-des-Prés neighborhood which are probably the most famous Paris left bank (“Rive Gauche“) attractions are conveniently situated beside each other. So this is a good idea to joint them together.
Also because you will discover that they are many links beetween Orsay museum and the Saint-Germain-dès près district in the streets, in the Saint-Germain-dès-Près and Saint-Sulpice churches and till the Luxembourg garden at the end of the tour.
The Musée d’Orsay tour is not only about arts it is also about civil architecture as the Germain tour is not only about sacred architecture but also about art.
And last because our Licensed guide lecturer is an history and history of arts passionate he will do his best to share with you is passion of Paris.
Discover the 19th century french revolution in art in orsay and the spirit of saint-germain-des-prés in a single 4 hours private tour!
How the Private Tour of Orsay Museum & Saint-Germain-des-Prés Works?
Organisation of the Tour
The tour is organized in two parts
- 1. A Musée d’Orsay Tour
- 2. A Saint-Germain-des-Prés neighborhood Tour
- Duration of the tour is egally splited between both parts of the tour.
- Tour start at Orsay Museum.
Spirit of the Tour
As all our guided tours the route of the Orsay & Saint-Germain-des-Près private tour is optimized to maximise your time with your guide. Meaning :
- Optimized tour route
- Adaptative tour route (flexibility in case of any obstacle)
In such a four hours private tour flexibility and adaptability are the main ideas. So your guide will be happy in function of your wishes to ajust :
- Relative duration of the two parts of the tour
- Content of the two parts of the tour
Just ask you guide.
Musée d’Orsay Tour Part Content
The Orsay museum part of the tour is designed to give you a solid overview of the French painting from 1848 to 1914 and is organised in three part :
- Before Impressionism
- After impressionism
You will see master pieces of the most famous painter of the period as Delacroix, Ingres, Courbet, Millet, Manet, Monet, Renoir, Cézanne, Degas, Van Gogh, Gauguin.
You can find more information about the content of the Orsay part of the tour in our dedicated Orsay Museum Private Tour page.
Main difference here is that we normaly insite more on Eugène Delacroix because of the strong link with the second part of the tour in Saint-Germain-des-Prés.
Saint-Germain-des-Prés Tour Part Content
The walking tour in Saint-Germain-des-Près is quite flexibal. It can be basically oriented in two ways :
As a dense architecture and history of arts tour mostly base to Saint Germain and Saint-sulpice church.
Or more as an open stroll to catch the atmosphere of the famous left bank (rive gauche) district.
The tour normaly can include the next thems which can be more or less extented depending of your interes.
Some of the Best Views of Paris Monuments along the Seine River
- Orsay Museum facade
- Le Louvre
- Bouquinistes etc.
and more .
Delacroix Related Places
- Delacroix last house in place de Fürstenberg
- Delacroix Master pieces in Saint-Sulpice church
Saint-Germain-des-Prés Abbey Church
- History of the abbey of saint Germain-des-Prés
- History of the abbey church from merovigian period till most recent archeological escavations and impressive restaurations.
- Newly restored 19th century Flandrin master pieces on the wall of the church
- Architecture of one of the most famous Romanesque and early gothique construction.
- History of the biggest church in Paris after Notre-Dame cathedral
- Neo-Classical, Classical and Gesuitic architecture
- Know why there is no pediment in Saint-Sulpice facade
- Know what is the Saint-Sulpicien Style
- Link of the church with one of the most famous city of North America.
There is also plenty of master pieces in the church not only by Delacroix but also by many others as famous sculptor Pigale from whom was name the famous “Place Pigalle“.
Places frequented by famous artists as Prévert, Hemingway, Sartre, Picasso, Camus, Zhou Enlai, Joyce, Maurras etc., as :
- Café de flore
- Café des deux magots
Palais and Garden of Luxembourg
- History since Queen Marie de Medicis
- Place of the former royal collection of painting
- History of the “Musée des Artistes Vivants” (Museum of living artists) ancester of the Orsay Museum
More Point of Interes
- Marché Saint-Germain
- House of famous architect Victor Baltard
- Hôtel de Fürstenberg, hôtel Mahé de la Bourdonnais
- Art nouveau building etc.
- Place where was living painter Fantin-Latour who painted the Musée d’Orsay group portrait with himself, Delacroix, Manet etc.
Tour normaly ends somewhere around Luxembourg or even around pantheon depending of what was done or not before.
More Arts Private Tours in Paris
- introduction tour to le Louvre Museum.
- Louvre French painting tours from 16th to 19th centuries
Things to know before Booking
Your Private Licensed Guide in Paris
- State-graduate licensed guide lecturer
- Bachelor with honors in Heritage Developpement & Preservation by Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers
- Postgraduate from Paris-Dauphine University
- Member of Paris Historique Association
Orsay Museum & Saint-Germain-des-Prés Private Tour Highlights
- Really private 4-hours tour for you and your party only.
- A comprehensive introduction to the Louvre Museum
- The opportunity to ask your dedicated guide any related questions.
Two options outside or inside the museum
Access: line 1 station Palais Royal
- Tour is on foot.
- Prices do not include transportation, food, drinks or any other extra services.
- Museum tickets: two option tickets may be included or not.
- Tour duration & content are purely indicative, they may vary due to contingencies.
- Entrance in churches is never waranty
Book Your Musée d’Orsay & Saint-Germain PrIvate Tour
Choose below your tour: You will then be asked : -> choose the number of people, date & hours of visit -> after our validation-> pay on line.
Choose below your tour
You will then be asked :
- choose number of people, date & hour of visit
- after our validation
- pay on line
Orsay & St-Germain-des-PrésExtended tour (4 hours)
For 1 to 2 people + 50 € for any extra person
A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours
Ticket not included
Meeting Point inside the Museum
Orsay & St-Germain-des-PrésExtended tour with skip-the-line ticket (4.5 hours)
For 1 to 2 people + 65 € for any extra person
A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours
skip the line ticket included
Meeting point outside the Museum