Private Tour le Louvre:
18th Century French Painting
The French 18th century is historically a century of changes. It was also the case in arts. Discover this attaching and shining period with a licensed guide lecturer thanks to our 2-hour Le Louvre 18th-century French painting private tour.
Le Louvre 18th century French Painting private tour essentials
- Guided tour in English
- From 90 € for 1 to 2 people, 115 € for 3 etc.
- Really private 2-hour tour
- A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours (your party only)
- Flexible time schedule
- M.Phil.-level local licensed guide lecturer
Why the 18th Century French Painting?
Because the French 18th century is called “le siècle des lumières“, literally the “century of lights” which is called in English the Age of Enlightenment, a brilliant period then.
Nevertheless this century is also in France a century of great changes. A century which begins with Louis XIV absolutism, which then saw France losing is dominant position for the benefit of England and finally came the French Revolution, the fall of the monarchy and the begging of the Napoleonic period.
You will discover in this tour that in terms of changes the world of painting was not outdone. The French 18th century in painting is very astonishing: a firework of innovations under the strict control of the Royal Academy of Arts and Sculptures.
Content of the Tour
- Frivolity of the Regency and the reign of Louis XV: the Rococo style with Francois Boucher its most famous représentant
- The still lifes of Chardin
- The multifaceted talents of Fragonard pupil of Boucher and Chardin
- Invention of the fête galante (courtship party) painted by Watteau
- The Neoclassical reaction
- The influence of the new ideas of the Enlightenment on arts
- Greuze moralistic genre painting
- How the notion of portrait changed along the 18th century
- Elisabeth Vigé Lebrun a woman at the academy
- The Landscape: with the “Scenes of the harbors of France” a series of paintings by Joseph Vernet
- The early stirring of Romantiscm with the ruin paintings (capricci) of Hubert Robert
Don’t miss the opportunity to follow our Le louvre 18th century French painting private TOUR
To discover thE Artistic side of the French century of light!
Other Le Louvre French Paintings Private Tours
This 18th-century French painting tour is part of a cycle of four:
- Middle Age and Renaissance French painting
- 17th-century French Painting
- 18th-century French Painting
- 19th-century French Painting (first half only)
Knowing that for the second half of the 19th century, you will have to follow our Musée d’Orsay Private tour (covering the period from 1850 to 1914). So do not hesitate to contact us if you want to follow the full cycle.
Prepare Your 18th-Century French Painting Guided Tour
Learn already how to recognize Rococo From previous Baroque:
- Subject: from sacred to frivolity
- Portrait: from formal representation to character & personality
- Form: from symmetry to asymmetrical curves
The new style is also recognizable to the wide use of flower ornamentations and warm pastel colors (as light blue or green).
Things to know before Booking
Your Private Licensed Guide in Paris
- State-graduate licensed guide lecturer
- Bachelor with honors in Heritage Developpement & Preservation by Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers
- Postgraduate from Paris-Dauphine University
- Member of Paris Historique Association
Le Louvre 18th-Century French Painting Highlights
- Really private 2-hour tour for you and your party only.
- A comprehensive introduction to 18th-century French painting
- The opportunity to ask your dedicated guide any related questions.
Inside the museum
Access: line 1 station Palais Royal
Le Louvre 18th-Century French Painting Private Tour Attention Points
- Tour is on foot.
- Prices do not include transportation, food, drinks or any other extra services.
- Museum tickets: are not included in the price – meeting point is inside the Museum
- Tour duration & content are purely indicative, they may vary due to contingencies.
BoOk your Louvre Private Tour
Choose below your tour: You will then be asked : -> choose the number of people, date & hours of visit -> after our validation-> pay on line.
Choose below your tour
You will then be asked :
- choose number of people, date & hour of visit
- after our validation
- pay on line
Le Louvre 18th-Century French Painting Private tourExtended tour (2 hours)
For 1 to 2 people + 25€ for any extra person
A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours
Ticket not included
Meeting Point inside the Museum