Marais Private Tour
The Marais was the royal district of Paris from the end of the Dark Ages to the Renaissance. Nowadays it is an amazing open-air museum which is also famous for its trendy and fancy shops. The Marais private tour is done by a licensed tourist guide.
Marais PRIVATE Tour Essentials
From 130 € for 1 to 2 people + 25 € per extra person
- Guided tour in English available in 2 durations: +/- 2-hour or 3-hour.
- Really private tour = your party only (6 people max.)
- +/- 3 km to 4 km distance covered
- Postgraduate (MPhil) certified French national guide
- Flexible schedule – 7/7 if available
KNOW MORE / BOOK NOW
What’s in the tour?
16 & 17th Century Paris
French & Paris History
Paris Medieval City Wall
Baroque & Gothique Churches
Half Timbered Houses
Pletzl (Jewish District)
Hôtel de Sully 17e Century Mansion
Place-des-Vosges Royal Square
Hôtel-de-Sens Royal Gothic Mansion
Your Private Tour Guide in Paris
Certified French national guide
BA, Magna Cum Laude, Heritage Developpement & Preservation from Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers
Postgraduate from Paris Dauphine-PSL University
Glimpse on the 2H Marais private tour content
An Amazing Heritage
The Paris city wall of the 1200s which was commissioned by the King of France, Philip Augustus, before leaving for the third crusade.
Hôtel de Sens, built in flamboyant gothique at the end of the 15th century.
Some of the very few remaining Paris timber houses (15th century).
Numerous 17th (and 18th) century hôtels
- hôtel d’Aumont
- hôtel de Beauvais
- hôtel Hénault
- hôtel de Chalon Luxembourg
- hôtel de Sully
Place des Vosges: The oldest of the 5 royal squares of Paris, inaugurated in 1612 by Louis XIII.
Hôtel de Ville de Paris – A Reference in Paris history from Middle Ages to WWII.
Saint Paul-Saint Louis church (17th century).
Saint-Protais Saint-Gervais church (15th to 17th centuries).
A living district
Rue des Francs Bourgeois and its famous independent boutiques, fancy & trendy shops and concept stores.
Rue Saint-Antoine, the former main entrance of Paris.
The spice of the Pletz (Jewish district).
The stunning Village Saint-Paul with its antique dealers and vintage shops
MARAIS Extended (3H)
The Marais extended propose one extra hour walk. This extra hour is normally dedicated to discovered northern parts of the Marais where stands a lot of prestigious 16th to 18th Centuries mansions,
- Hôtel Carnavalet
- Hôtel de Soubise
- Hôtel d’Albret
- Hôtel de Châtillon
- Hôtel Aubert de Fontenay (hôtel Salé) – musée Picasso
- Hôtel de Marle – Institut Tessin, also known as the Centre culturel suédois
We don’t enter the mansions (hôtel particular); nevertheless, when possible, we walk a little in their yards or gardens.
The extra time of the Marais extended tour can also be dedicated to going deeper into some themes or places of the tour or to discovering some hidden gems of the Marais as for example, the gardens of the hôtel de Soubise or some of the amazing boutiques of the Marais as the Méert one, a maison famous for its waffles since 1677.
More about The Marais Private Tour
An Architecture Oriented Guided Tour
- High Middle Age Gothic versus Jesuitical Baroque.
- Canonical versus non-canonical church orientation.
- Medieval timbered houses, cellars, and alleyways.
- Civil Gothic with watch turrets, pinnacles, and gables.
- The Italian origin of Renaissance architecture.
- Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian architectural orders.
- Classical 17th hôtels particuliers “between court & garden” layout with their stone, or brick and stone facades.
People We Will Speak About During the Tour
- Richard the Lionheart: King of England.
- Saint-Louis, Philippe-Auguste, Charles V, Henri II, Catherine de Médicis, Henri IV, Louis XIII: Queens and Kings of France.
- Napoleon I, Napoleon III: French Emperors.
- Cardinal de Richelieu, Duc de Sully: French ministers.
- Gabriel, Comte de Montgomery: Captain of the King’s Scots Guard.
- Boccador: Italian architect of the Renaissance
- Victor Hugo the famous writer.
- Jim Morrison: American singer and poet
Things to know before Booking
Close to Hôtel de Ville de Paris,
The exact meeting point is given in the booking document.
Access Métro line 1 station: Hôtel de Ville.
Marais Tour Attention Points
- Tour is on foot.
- Prices do not include transportation, food, drinks, or any other extra services.
- Neighborhood tour: we don’t enter monuments unless otherwise specified. Nevertheless, we may enter Saint-Paul and/or Saint-Protais churches.
- Tour duration & content are purely indicative, they may vary due to contingencies.
- Weather: the tour will start on schedule rain or shine.
Book your Marais Private Tour
Choose below your tour: You will then be asked : -> choose the number of people, date & hours of visit -> after our validation-> pay on line.
Marais Private Tour2 hours
For 1 to 2 people + 25€ for any extra person
A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours
Marais Private Tour ExtendedExtended (3 hours)
For 1 to 2 people + 35 € for any extra person
A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours