Louvre Private Tour:
19th Century French Painting
This 19th-century French Painting tour is the last one of our Louvre French painting series. Actually, the tour should better be called “the first half of 19th century French Painting” as to have the second half of the 19th century (and the beginning of the 20th century) you will have to change of museum and follow our Musée d’Orsay private guided tour.
Louvre 19th century French Painting private tour in a Nutshell
- Guided tour in English
- From 90 € for 1 to 2 people, 115 € for 3, etc.
- Really private 2-hour tour
- A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours (your party only)
- Morning, lunchtime, afternoon & evening tours
- M.Phil.-level local licensed guide lecturer
What’s in the tour?
Salon de peinture
Why to Follow a 19th Century French Painting in the Louvre?
Because the French 19th century is the key period of art evolution. A century starting wisely returning to art references with neoclassical and ending breaking all the rules with impressionism and then fauvism and cubism in the first years of the 20th century.
More practically we don’t go in this tour in Salle Mollien (Molien Gallery) where are the world famous huge paintings by Delacroix, Géricault or David as “La liberté guidant le peuple“, “the Raft of the Medusa” or “the coronation of Napoleon“, but we go to the much more quiet French Painting dedicated floor. There we will peacefully admire smaller paintings by the same French masters.
An opportunity to see and comment numerous oil sketches or oil studies (artworks made in preparation for a larger finished painting, also called modeli).
Content of the Tour
- Beginning of the Barbizon School
Le Salon de Peinture
- What it was
- How to be admitted
- Where was it organized
- The price of Rome
- First Empire painters: Jacques-Louis-David, Antoine-Jean Gros, François Gérard.
- Théodore Géricault and the horses
- Eugène Delacroix, the color
- Ingres, the drawing
- Ary Scheffer romantic painter and drawing teacher to the children of the last king of the French Louis-Philippe I.
- The death of Achille Etna Michallon the young Master of Corot
- Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot
- Théodore Rousseau
Oil Sketches and Studies
- Oil studies for “the Raft of the Medusa” by Géricault, the bridge between Neoclassical and Romanticism
- Oil studies for “the Death of Sardanapale” by Delacroix
How non-controled innovations in color pigment badly impacted some paintings.
And lots more
Don’t miss the opportunity to follow our Le louvre 19th century French Painting Private Tour
Other Le Louvre French Paintings Private Tours
This 17th-century French painting tour is part of a series of four Le Louvre French painting tours covering the subject from middle Age to the first half of 19th century. So do not hesitate to contact us if you want to follow the full cycle. Knowing that our Musée d’Orsay Private tour covering the period from 1850 to 1914 is somehow the fifth part of the cycle.
Things to know before Booking
Your Private Licensed Guide in Paris
- Certified French national guide
- BA, Magna Cum Laude, Heritage Developpement & Preservation from Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers
- Postgraduate from Paris-Dauphine University
- Member of Paris Historique Association
Le Louvre 19th-Century French Painting Highlights
- Really private 2-hour tour for you and your party only.
- A comprehensive introduction to 19th-century French painting
- The opportunity to ask your dedicated guide any related questions.
Inside the museum
Access: Line 1 station Palais Royal
Le Louvre 19th-Century French Painting Private Tour Attention Points
- Tour is on foot
- Prices do not include transportation, food, drinks or any other extra services
- Museum tickets: are not included in the price – meeting point is inside the Museum
- Tour duration & content are purely indicative, they may vary due to contingencies
- Private tour means a tour for you & your party only, not that the museum is privatized
BoOk your Louvre Private Tour
Choose below your tour: You will then be asked : -> choose the number of people, date & hours of visit -> after our validation-> pay on line.
Choose below your tour
You will then be asked :
- choose number of people, date & hour of visit
- after our validation
- pay on line
Le Louvre 19th-Century French Painting Private tourExtended tour (2 hours)
For 1 to 2 people + 25€ for any extra person
A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours
Ticket not included
Meeting Point inside the Museum