Private Saint-Germain-des-Prés Church and Abbey Guided Tour
A private guided tour of St-Germain which focuses on the Saint-Germain-des-Prés church and ancient abbey. A thematic tour about sacred arts, architecture, and way of living from middle age to the 19th century. A tour made by a passionate fully licensed guide lecturer.
Why a Saint-Germain-des-Prés church & abbey Guided Tour?
Because if this Paris district is nowadays world-famous for its 20th-century golden age, Saint-Germain-des-Prés was historically before all a powerful independent abbey at the gates of Paris.
The church of St Germain is the most spectacular remains of the ancient abbey and an impressive witness of Romanesque and early Gothic architecture. The abbey-church also really worth a visit for its magnificente 19th century frescos (just restored). But the church is not the only remains of the ancient abbaye, less spectacular or visible one can be found all around, they are key to understand the district.
Saint-Germain-des-prés church abbey Private Tour Organisation
The tour is mainly organized around 4 themes
- The abbey
- The abbey-church
- Other buildings and vestiges of the abbey
- The faubourg and the Paris 12th century city wall
Middle age architecture being a 5th transvers theme of the tour.
a very speciAl PARIS PRIvATE tour to encounter
the most ancient roots of Saint-Germain-des-Prés!
The Saint-Germain-des-Prés Ancient Abbey
- The abbey history since its foundation in the 6th-century
- How where the monks living
- Who were the abbots, the priors
- The rule of Saint Benedict: Ora, Labora, lectio divina
- The Saint-Maure Congregation
- The importance and the influence of the abbey in arts, literature, history or archeology
The Abbey Church
Architecture of the Church
- Late antiquity (Merovingian period)
- Early Gothic
- 17th-century vaults
- 19th-century reconstruction
- 20th-century Neo-Roman
Ornementation of the church
- Late antiquity (Merovingian colum of the triforium)
- Romanesque chapiters
- 17th-century paintings
- The amazing 19th-century Flandrin Fresco work
Other Buildings and Vestiges of the Abbaye
The 13th-Century Magnificent Lady Chapel
- How it was destroy during French Revolution period
- Remaining stain-glasses
- Remaining Virgen Mary Statue, its history
- Other architecture remains of the chapel around the streets
A brick and stone witness of the last period of the French Renaissance.
Biggest Witnesses of the Abbaye
Learn to read Saint-Germain-des-Prés district map and discover how much streets position and organization are directly linked with the ancient abbey;
The Faubourg St Germain & the Paris 12th-Century City Wall
- The St Germain Faubourg
- The St Germain Market
- Remains and postion of the 12th century city wall of Paris
Transvers theme: Middle Age Architecture
Romanesque versus Gothic
- Understand differences between both style / period
- Understand the function and evolution of architectural structures as ambulatory, triforium, gallery, transept etc.
Some Middle Age Architecture Secrets
- How were the church oriented? Why?
- When a statue may be buried?
- Why it was important to be burried close to a church?
- How to know where were buried the Merovingian kings in the church?
Tour Special Focus
The amazing 19th-Century Flandrin Fresco Work
After a 5 year restauration program (2015-2020) frescos are now magnificent!
Flandrin was the preferred pupille of Ingres the most famous 19th century neo-classical french painter.
In charge of the ornamentation aspect of the restauration of the church flandrin developed and employed an hot wax, Renaissance inspired painting technique.
The themes of the frescos are exceptionally rich, as Flandrin was helped by a Jesuit expert in history of arts, called father Cahier, for their selection: below are some of the frescos themes:
- The Apostles
- The four Evangelists and the Tetramorph
- The seven Christian Virtues
- The historic figures of the church foundation etc.
Other Saint-Germain-des-Prés Tours
- Saint-Germain-des-Prés classic tour
- Literature in Saint-Germain-des-Prés Guided Tour: In preparation.
- Saint-Germain-des-Prés Fin Art & Painting Guided Tour
- Orsay Museum & Saint-Germain-des-Prés Guided Tour
Things to know before Booking
Your Private Licensed Guide in Paris
- Certified French national guide
- BA, Magna Cum Laude, Heritage Developpement & Preservation from Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers
- Postgraduate from Paris-Dauphine University
- Member of Paris Historique Association
Private Tour Highlights
- Really private 2-hour tour for you and your party only.
- Extensive approach of the different aspect of the church and the ancient abbey: history, urbanism, architecture, arts, etc.
- The opportunity to ask your dedicated guide any related questions.
In front of the entry of the Saint-Germain-des-Prés church
Access: Metro Line 4: “Saint-Germain-des-Prés”
Private Tour Attention Points
- Tour is on foot.
- Prices do not include transportation, food, drinks or any other extra services.
- Neighborhood tours: we don’t enter in monuments except in Saint-Germain Church.
- Church entrance: exceptionnaly unplanned closing to visit may occur (ceremony, closing etc.) – if this occurs we will to do our best to solve the situation postponing the tour if possible, or adapting its content.
- Tour duration & content are purely indicative, they may vary due to contingencies.
Book your Saint-Germain-des-Prés church and abbey Tour
Choose below your tour: You will then be asked : -> choose the number of people, date & hours of visit -> after our validation-> pay on line.
Choose below your tour
You will then be asked :
- choose number of people, date & hour of visit
- after our validation
- pay on line
Private Tour Saint-Germain-des-Prés Church and Abbey+/- 2-hour
For 1 to 2 people + 25 € for any extra person
A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours