Orléans Joan of Arc Walking Tour With Private Licensed Guide Lecturer
Joan of Arc is a French heroine, an icon since nearly six centuries, her epic is strongly linked with the Loire Valley, with Tours, Blois or Chinon but Orléans is apart on the list, it is the place of Joan of Arc first and chief victory, the turning point of the Hundred Years’ War between England and France. Your Joan of Arc Tour in Orléans, with a private licensed guide who will conduct you on the footsteps of this young woman called Jeanne who, in Orléans, in a few days of the spring of 1429, changed the course of French and English history.
The Orléans Joan of Arc Walking Tour
- English guided tour of about 2 hours
- From 59 € for 1 to 2 people, 66 € for 3 etc.
- Flexible time schedule
- Really private tour
- A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours
- Tour also possible for bigger groups
- M.Phil.-level local licensed guide lecturer
- Guide also owns VPAH Loire Valley certificate
Why to follow the Orléans Joan of Arc Walking Tour?
Because Joan of Arc, in French Jeanne d’Arc, is the symbolic figure of the city.
Indeed it is following her intervention that the English army left the siege of Orléans on the 8th of May 1429. This event is considered as the watershed of the Hundred Years’ War between France and England.
Eternally grateful for nearly 600 years, Orléans still celebrate this event during the Joan of Arc Festival in French “les Fêtes de Jeanne d’Arc” from the 29th of April to the 8th of May each year.
Often called the Maid of Orléans, she is present everywhere in the streets (dedicated iconography, squares, streets and monuments). So an Orléans Joan of Arc Walking Tour is something you shouldn’t miss!
Orléans Joan of Arc Walking Tour Content
In this Joan of Arc tour, we will tell you about her story and more specifically about the Orléans-related historical figures: Isabelle Romée (Joan of Arc mother), Pierre du Lys (One of her brothers and comrades in arms), La Hire, the Bastard of Orléans (a Duke of Orléans’s son) etc.
Moreover, the tour has been structured in three levels :
1. Middle Ages heritage still present in Orléans
City wall remains, Saint-Pierre-le-Puellier Collegial, the Middle Age university of law with the “salle des Thèses”, the Tour Blanche, stone or half-timbered houses, etc.
2. Joan of Arc iconography
The Maid of Orléans is omnipresent in the city: the stain-glass windows of the Cathedral Saint-Croix, Romantic statues, streets, etc.
3. Joan of Arc-related places
Places where she passed through, corresponding military events: Bourgogne street, des Tourelles Battle etc.
We will also see the house of Joan of Arc which is the reconstructed house of Jacques Boucher, Treasurer General to the Duke of Orléans in which Joan of Arc was living during her stay in the city.
An Extra Reason to Follow our Orléans Joan of Arc Tour
Besides our Joan of Arc tour also allows you to discover the South East city center which is not covered by the two other main Orléans walking tours.
Joan of Arc in the Orléans Monuments
Orléans Sainte-Croix Cathedral is not the only monument in which you can see Joan of Arc representation, even if it is not possible to show you all of them during our Orleans Jeanne of Arc Walking Tour, here are places where can be find more Joan of Arc iconographia:
- Cathedral parvis, with two Joan of Arc bas-relief by sculptor Paul Belmondo.
- Hôtel Groslot, with a famous Joan of Arc romantic sculpture by princess Marie d’Orléans.
- Place du Martroi, Orléans main square where is the most famous Orléans Joan of Arc statue.
- Rue des Tourelles is a Joan of Arc Neo-Classical sculpture where was the English ruled des Tourelles forteress.
- And also, Saint-Donatien church, Notre-Dame-des-Miracles chapel, Sainte-Jeanne-d’Arc church etc.
Joan of Arc in the Orléans Museums
Orléans Museum of History and Archeology (Hôtel Cabu) exibit one of the very first painting depicting Joan of Arc.
The Orléans Museum of find Arts is the where you will fine more Joan of Arc-related works of art, as for example “The entry of Joan of Arc in Orléans” a famous painting by Scherrer.
Or a seven meters wide Joan of Arc canvas by Orléans native painter Boutet de Monvel who got worldly fame at the end of the 19th century for his Joan of Arc illustrated for children.
So if you are a real fan of Joan of Arc and don’t have enough with our “Joan of Arc Orléans Walking Tour” do not hesitate to ask us to organize a museum complement for your Joan of Arc tour.
Joan of Arc around Orléans
Château de Sully Sur Loire (+/- 42 km): Joan of Arc stayed twice in the castle of Guy de la Tremouille who was Charles VII Grand Chamberlain.
Château de Meung-sur-Loire (+/- 21 km): where Joan of Arc stayed after the battle of Orléans. Meung-sur-Loire is also the place of one of the five Loire Valley Campaign Battles.
The other places of the Loire Valley Campaign are also close to Orléans: Jargeau (+/- 20 km) the first Joan of arc offensive battle after Orléans, Beaugency (+/- 26 km) and Patay (+/- 28 km) the last of the five battles where english forces where finaly heavily defeated. Don’t hesitate to ask you Orléans local guide about it.
Story of Joan of Arc the Maid of Orléans
Childhood: Joan of Arc was born in east of France around 1412. At thirteen years old, she starts to hear a voice from God,
Orléans: At 17 she claimed the voices (She will later name them as being Saint Michael, Saint Catherine and Saint Marguerite) told her to raise the siege of Orléans from the English. Joan of Arc reached to meet the Dauphin Charles in Chinon who trusted her, and following her intervention in Orléans English army gave up the city siege on the 8th of May, 1429.
Reims Coronation: Joan of Arc insists that the Dauphin should go to Reims to receive his rightful crown. And after some other important French victories during the Loire Valley Campaign, the Dauphin was consecrated King Charles VII of France on the 17th July of 1429.
These Orléans events ended by the Reims coronation were the watershed of the Hundred Years’ War which finally ended with the victory of the French against England in 1453.
Rouen trial: Joan of Arc was burned alive years before in Rouen in 1431, as after her capture in Compiègne she was put on trial by a pro-English Bishop and declared guilty.
Rehabilitation: Joan of Arc trial was reopened by the examination of Joan’s mother, Isabelle Romée in Paris Notre-Dame Cathedral on the 7th of November 1455. The original sentence of Rouen was officially canceled in the same city on the 7th of July 1456.
The city of Orléans took in Joan of Arc’s mother. One of the Joan of Arc’s brother, Pierre du Lys also settled near Orléans.
Joan of Arc, heroine of France, was canonized in 1920.
Tour Booking Information
Know Your Licensed Guide in Orléans
- State-graduate licensed guide lecturer.
- Centre-Loire Valley Region accredidation (VPAH).
- Bachelor with honors in Heritage Developpement & Preservation by Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers.
- Postgraduate from Paris-Dauphine University.
Highlights of Your Orléans Jeanne of Arc Tour
- Private tour
- Discover the history of Joan of Arc in Orléans
- The opportunity to ask your dedicated guide any related questions
In front of the Hôtel Groslot,
place de l’Etape, 45000 Orléans.
Access: Tram ligne B, station Cathédrale.
- Tour is on foot.
- Weather: the tour will start on schedule rain or shine.
- Prices do not include transportation, food, drinks or any other extra services.
- Neighborhood tour: we don’t enter in monuments unless otherwise specified.
- Tour duration & content are purely indicative, they may vary due to contingencies.
- We can’t guarante the access to the cathedral: exceptionally the cathedral can be closed or forbidden to tours (ceremony) whitout notice.
Book the Orléans Joan of Arc Tour
Choose below your tour: You will then be asked : -> choose the number of people, date & hours of visit -> after our validation-> pay on line.
Choose below your tour
You will then be asked :
- choose number of people, date & hour of visit
- after our validation
- pay on line
Orléans Joan of Arc Private tour(+/- 2 hours)
- For 1 to 2 people + 7 € for any extra
- A group of maximum 6 people
- Group exclusively yours
- English language
Orléans Joan of Arc Groups TourGroup of more than 6 people
- Price starts from 99 € for the 2 hours Orléans Joan of Arc Walking Tour for groups from 7 to 25 people
- English language
- Extra costs may apply in some cases