Orleans Walking Tour
With Private Licensed Tourist Guide Lecturer
The location of Orleans, Loire Valley nearest city from Paris, made its port, until the 19th century, one of the main France economical center. You will discover during our Orleans Walking Tour that apart from the few medieval remains an important Renaissance heritage still wishes of the city prestigious past. The proximity of Paris, the recently renovated historical center, its architectural diversity, the exceptional cathedral, the Loire banks and the nature very present all around Orleans made the city of Joan of Arc an ideal weekend destination.
Orleans Walking Tour – Hôtel Groslot 19th-century romantic gardens, they show some remarkable trees and the vestiges of the Saint James Chapelle. Orleans, Loire Valley, France © Broaden horizons.
1.5 hours Orleans guided tour
The 1,5 hours Orleans walking tour, privately, in a little group exclusively yours, is the most efficient way to discover Orleans and its rich history. Four main themes are broached during the tour :
1. Gallo-Roman Orleans: Cenabum then Aurelianorum
- Gallo-Roman city wall remains
- Decumanus, Cardo ( Gallo-Roman main streets)
2. Medieval Orleans
- Belfry (end of middle age)
- Des Créneaux house (13e et 15e centuries)
- Joan of Arc House (reconstruction)
3. The Renaissance in Orleans
- Hôtel Groslot (where King François II died)
- Des Créneaux hôtel (transition Flamboyant Gothic to Renaissance)
- Hôtel Cabu (2nd Renaissance : Henri II style)
- Campo-Santo (Former Cemetery Renaissance galleries)
4. Modern era
- Sainte-Croix Cathedral (rayonnant, flamboyant & modern Gothic)
- Loire Quay and ancient fluvial port
- Pavillons d’Escures (17th century mansions)
- WII Post-war years reconstruction (Orleans experimentation)
The Loire river banks in Orleans. Recently renovated the quays are the heritage of the ancient port of Orleans on the river Loire. The port of Orleans was very active until mid 19 th century. Nowadays the quayside are a popular stroll destination © Broaden horizons.
An exceptional architectural heritage of a great diversity
The route of the tour will allows you to discover for sure the rich Renaissance heritage of Orleans but also some unexpected aspects of the city as for example the diversity of its architecture :
- Half-timbered houses
- Art Deco District
- Art Nouveau building
We will also speak about Modern Gothic, neither Glamboyant Gothic nor neo-Gothic : an architectural exception to be discovered during your Orleans Guided Tour.
Orleans walking tour – View from the place de l’Étape of the Orleans Cathedral an unic monument : a gothic cathedral built in the modern era © Broaden horizons
3 hours Orleans walking tour
The 3 hour Orleans guided tour is based on the 1,5-hour tour. Nevertheless the tour route is notably enlarged alowing the discovery of some extra points of interest of the city, like for example two prestigious Renaissance Mansions :
- La Vieille Intendance also called the « Logis du roi » (King house) ;
- Jeannot le bouteiller (King François I’s sommelier) Mansion.
The Art Nouveau and Eclectic buildings of the Republic street and the « Palais de justice » (Law Court), Orleans biggest neoclassical building, are some of the other monuments we will discover in this extended version of the tour.
The 3-hour tour normally also allows a short visit of hôtel Groslot.
More comfort and flexibility
Globally this long tour option gives more time to do everything more comfortably and see a larger zone of Orleans city center.
Moreover, the Orleans walking tour route has been optimized to show you as many places as possible. We have designed the tours to be dissimilar from one another, so don’t be afraid to also follow our « Orleans Joan of Arc tour » and « Orleans Cathedral tour ».
Nevertheless, the magic word of the three hours private Orleans guided tour is flexibility.
So, if you want the extra part of the tour to focus more on Joan of Arc and / or on the Orleans Cathedral we will be happy to adjust the tour content per your request, if possible.
Know more about Orleans history
Orleans is before all a city of the Loire Valley with an exceptional location on the northern point of the river Loire (the nearest to Paris). This strategical location contributed to giving Orleans an important place in French history :
- 451: Attila, Hun King gave up the siege of Orléans.
- 511: Orleans Council, Clovis gather Gaule’s Bishops.
- December 987: Robert le Pieux coronation in Orléans.
- December 1022: first stake of medieval Christianity.
- 1108 Louis VI le Gros coronation in Orleans cathedral.
- 1306: founding of the Orleans University (4th in France).
- May 8, 1429: Jeanne d’Arc, English gave up Orleans siege.
- 1567: Prince of Condé made Orleans the capital of Protestant France.
- June 1940, WWII Bombings, 20% of city center is destroyed.
Nowadays Orleans is the capital city of the «Région Centre-Val de Loire » (Loire Valley region), the core city of a 281 899 inhabitants urban area.
Orleans city center is part of the Loire Valley territory covered by the UNESCO accreditation. Orléans rich cultural heritage is also recognized by being listed as « villes d’art et d’histoire » (cities of art and history) the French heritage label.
Since the beginning of the years 2000 Orleans old city center has been systematically restored. The result is impressive !
Orleans Walking Tour : half-timbered house. Numerous half timbered houses are visible in Orleans, and if the oldest ones are from the Middle Ages others are from the Renaissance, the 17th century or 18th century. Different typology of wood frames and colors were used depending of the period of construction. Orleans, Loire Valley, France © Broaden horizons.
Some artists and architects who worked in the streets of Orleans
- J.A. Houdon, works of the sculptor on the cathedral facade)
- P. Belmondo, sculptor, father of actor Jean-Paul Belmondo
- Marie d’Orleans, sculptor, King Louis-Philippe daughter
- Jacques Androuet du Cerceau, Renaissance architect
- François-Narcisse Pagot, 19th-century Neoclassical architecte
- Pol Abraham : WW II Orleans reconstruction architecte
Street Art is also visible, if you know where to look !
Pavillons d’Escures, Orleans, Loire Valley, France: These mansions were built for Pierre Fougueu d’Escures, major of Orleans in the beginning of the 17th century. This king Henri IV close friend was strongly involved in the construction of the royale square in Paris (nowadays place des Vosges). Similitudes are obvious. © Broaden horizons
More reasons to visit Orleans
An impressive Museum of Fine Arts
Orleans Museum of Fine Arts is one of the richest outside of Paris, a Loire Valley must-seen. Don’t miss it if you visit Orleans and make the most of it with Our Orleans Museum of Fine Arts Guided Tour.
A green city
With many green zones and an easy access to the Loire and Loiret river banks, Orleans is an ideal place for nice and relaxing strolls.
A city very easily accessible from Paris
At only one hour by intercity train from Paris, Orléans is the closest point of the Loire Valley from the French capital. So drop in for an easy day trip and a nice Orleans city tour with us!
Tour Booking Information
Know Your Licensed Guide in Orléans
- State-graduate licensed guide lecturer.
- Centre-Loire Valley Region accredidation (VPAH).
- Bachelor with honors in Heritage Developpement & Preservation from Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers.
- Postgraduate from Paris-Dauphine University.
Highlights of Your Orleans Walking Tour
- Private tour.
- Choice between 1.5 hour or 3 hours tour.
- Get a glimpse of Orleans history from Roman empire to 20th century
- Discover the heritage of Orléans.
- The opportunity to ask your dedicated guide any related questions.
In front of the Hôtel Groslot,
place de l’Etape, 45000 Orléans.
Access: Tram line B, station Cathédrale.
- Tour is on foot.
- Prices do not include transportation, food, drinks or any other extra services.
- Neighborhood tour: we don’t enter in monuments unless otherwise specified.
- Tour duration & content are purely indicative, they may vary due to contingencies.
- Weather: the tour will start on schedule rain or shine.
Choose below your tour: You will then be asked : -> choose the number of people, date & hour of visit -> after our validation-> pay on line.
Choose below your tour
You will then be asked :
- choose number of people, date & hour of visit
- after our validation
- pay on line
Orleans walking tourStandard tour (1 hr 30 mins)
- For 1 to 2 people + 6€ for any extra
- A group of maximum 6 people
- Group exclusively yours
Orleans walking tourLong Tour (3 hours)
- For 1 to 2 people + 10€ for any extra
- A group of maximum 6 people
- Group exclusively yours
Orleans walking tourGroup of more than 6 people
- Price starts from 89 € for 1.5 hour Orleans walking tour for groups from 7 to 25 people.
- Extra costs may apply in some cases
Our services in Orleans
Broaden Horizons Orléans
Val de Loire
Located at a little more than one hundred kilometers in the south of Paris, Orléans is easily accessible by intercity train (approx. one hour) from Paris-Austerlitz train station.
Your licensed guide in Orléans is the holder of card n° CG 17-45-05, he is a member of FNGIC which is a member of the World Federation of Tourist Guide Associations.