Orléans Walking Tour
With Private Licensed Tourist Guide Lecturer
The location of Orléans, Loire Valley nearest city from Paris, made its port, until the 19th century, one of the main France economical center. You will discover during our Orléans Walking Tour that apart from the few medieval remains an important Renaissance heritage still wishes of the city prestigious past. The proximity of Paris, the recently renovated historical center, its architectural diversity, the exceptional cathedral, the Loire banks and the nature very present all around Orléans made the city of Joan of Arc an ideal weekend destination.
Orléans Walking Tour: Place du Martroi, Orléans main square, with its famous Joan of Arc statue. Orléans Loire Valley, France © Broaden horizons
Orléans Walking Tour Essentials
- English guided tour of about 1.5 hour
- From 49€ for 1 to 2 people, 55€ for 3 etc.
- Flexible time schedule
- Really private tour
- A group of maximum 6 people exclusively yours
- Tour also possible for bigger groups
- M.Phil.-level local licensed guide lecturer
- Guide also owns VPAH Loire Valley certificate
1.5 Hours Orléans Walking Tour
The 1,5 hours Orléans Walking Tour, privately, in a little group exclusively yours, is the most efficient way to discover Orléans and its rich history. Four main themes are broached during the tour :
1. Gallo-Roman Orléans: Cenabum then Aurelianorum
- Gallo-Roman city wall remains
- Decumanus, Cardo ( Gallo-Roman main streets)
2. Medieval Orléans
- Belfry (end of middle age)
- Des Créneaux house (13e et 15e centuries)
- Joan of Arc House (reconstruction)
3. The Renaissance in Orléans
- Hôtel Groslot (where King François II died)
- Des Créneaux hôtel (transition Flamboyant Gothic to Renaissance)
- Hôtel Cabu (2nd Renaissance: Henri II style)
- Campo-Santo (Former Cemetery Renaissance galleries)
4. Modern era
- Sainte-Croix Cathedral (rayonnant, flamboyant & modern Gothic)
- Loire Quay and ancient fluvial port
- Pavillons d’Escures (17th century mansions)
- WII Post-war years reconstruction (Orléans experimentation)
Orléans Walking Tour: The Loire river banks in Orléans. Recently renovated the quays are the heritage of the ancient port of Orléans on the river Loire. The port of Orléans was very active until mid 19 th century. Nowadays the quayside are a popular stroll destination © Broaden horizons.
An exceptional architectural heritage of a great diversity
The route of the tour the Orléans Walking Tour will allows you to discover for sure the rich Renaissance heritage of Orléans but also some unexpected aspects of the city as for example the diversity of its architecture:
- Half-timbered houses
- Art Deco District
- Art Nouveau building
We will also speak about Modern Gothic, neither Glamboyant Gothic nor neo-Gothic : an architectural exception to be discovered during your Orléans Walking Tour.
Orléans Walking Tour – View from the place de l’Étape of the Orléans Cathedral an unic monument : a gothic cathedral built in the modern era Orléans, Loire Valley, France © Broaden horizons
3 Hours Orléans Walking Tour
The 3-hours Orléans Walking Tour is based on the 1,5-hour tour. Nevertheless the tour route is notably enlarged alowing the discovery of some extra points of interest of the city, like for example two prestigious Renaissance Mansions :
- La Vieille Intendance also called the « Logis du roi » (King house) ;
- Jeannot le bouteiller (King François I’s sommelier) Mansion.
The Art Nouveau and Eclectic buildings of the Republic street and the « Palais de justice » (Law Court), Orléans biggest neoclassical building, are some of the other monuments we will discover in this extended version of the tour.
The 3-hours tour normally also allows a short visit of hôtel Groslot.
More comfort and flexibility
Globally this long tour option gives more time to do everything more comfortably and see a larger zone of Orléans city center.
Moreover, the Orléans Walking Tour route has been optimized to show you as many places as possible. We have designed the tours to be dissimilar from one another, so don’t be afraid to also follow our « Orléans Joan of Arc tour » and « Orléans Cathedral tour ».
Nevertheless, the magic word of the three hours private Orléans Walking Tour is flexibility.
So, if you want the extra part of the tour to focus more on Joan of Arc and / or on the Orléans Cathedral we will be happy to adjust the tour content per your request, if possible.
Loire River’s photo : the cathedral and the George V bridge. It was constructed instead of the medieval bridge around which English and French with Joan of Arc where fighting during the hundred year war
Orléans History Overview
Orléans is before all a city of the Loire Valley with an exceptional location on the northern point of the river Loire (the nearest to Paris). This strategical location contributed to giving Orléans an important place in French history :
- 451: Attila, Hun King gave up the siege of Orléans.
- 511: Orléans Council, Clovis gather Gaule’s Bishops.
- December 987: Robert le Pieux coronation in Orléans.
- December 1022: first stake of medieval Christianity.
- 1108 Louis VI le Gros coronation in Orléans cathedral.
- 1306: founding of the Orléans University (4th in France).
- May 8, 1429: Jeanne d’Arc, English gave up Orléans siege.
- 1567: Prince of Condé made Orléans the capital of Protestant France.
- June 1940, WWII Bombings, 20% of city center is destroyed.
Key vocabulary for the Orléans Walking Tour
Here bellow is a bit of vocabulary you will need to make the most of your Orléans Walking tour:
Gothic related vocabulary: pointed arch, gable, finial, niche, canopy, dripstone, turret etc.
Renaissance related vocabulary: capital, pilar, pilaster, column, doric, ionic, corinthien, composite, scallop, dentil etc.
Artists and Architects of the Orléans Walking Tour
- J.A. Houdon, works of the sculptor on the cathedral facade)
- P. Belmondo, sculptor, father of actor Jean-Paul Belmondo
- Marie d’Orleans, sculptor, King Louis-Philippe daughter
- Jacques Androuet du Cerceau, Renaissance architect
- François-Narcisse Pagot, 19th-century Neoclassical architecte
- Pol Abraham : WW II Orléans reconstruction architecte
Street Art is also visible, if you know where to look !
Orléans Walking Tour: hôtel Groslot 19th-century romantic gardens, in which are the vestiges of the Saint James Chapelle. This is one of the numerous green spaces of the city. Hôtel Groslot was probably build following plans by famous Renaissance Architect Jacques Androuet du Cerceau. In the courtyard is a famous romantic sculpture of Joan of Arc by princess Marie d’Orléans. © Broaden horizons.
Why to Visit Orléans Today?
A newly restored recognized heritage
Nowadays Orléans is the capital city of the «Région Centre-Val de Loire » (Loire Valley region), the core city of a 281 899 inhabitants urban area.
Orléans city center is part of the Loire Valley territory covered by the UNESCO accreditation. Orléans rich cultural heritage is also recognized by being listed as « villes d’art et d’histoire » (cities of art and history) the French heritage label.
Since the beginning of the years 2000 Orléans old city center has been systematically restored. The result is impressive!
A green city
With many green zones and an easy access to the Loire and Loiret river banks, Orléans is an ideal place for nice and relaxing strolls.
A city very easily accessible from Paris
At only one hour by intercity train from Paris, Orléans is the closest point of the Loire Valley from the French capital. So drop in for an easy day trip and a nice Orléans city tour with us!
What else to do in the Orléans Area
Thematic Orléans walking tours
Orléans Museum of Fine Arts tour
Orléans Museum of Fine Arts is one of the richest outside of Paris, a Loire Valley must-seen. Don’t miss it if you visit Orléans and make the most of it with Our Orléans Museum of Fine Arts Guided Tour.
More activities an landmarks in the Orléans area
Check our dedicated page, Visit Orléans the Loire Valley next to Paris where are listed points of interest around Orléans as: Loire Valley Castle, Joan of Arc related places, abbeys, etc.
Things to know before Booking
Know Your Licensed Guide in Orléans
- State-graduate licensed guide lecturer.
- Centre-Loire Valley Region accredidation (VPAH).
- Bachelor with honors in Heritage Developpement & Preservation by Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers.
- Postgraduate from Paris-Dauphine University.
Highlights of Your Orléans Walking Tour
- Private tour.
- Choice between 1.5 hour or 3 hours tour.
- Get a glimpse of Orléans history from Roman empire to 20th century
- Discover the heritage of Orléans.
- The opportunity to ask your dedicated guide any related questions.
In front of the Hôtel Groslot,
place de l’Etape, 45000 Orléans.
Access: Tram line B, station Cathédrale.
- Tour is on foot.
- Prices do not include transportation, food, drinks or any other extra services.
- Neighborhood tour: we don’t enter in monuments unless otherwise specified.
- Tour duration & content are purely indicative, they may vary due to contingencies.
- Weather: the tour will start on schedule rain or shine.
Book the Orléans Walking Tour
Choose below your tour: You will then be asked : -> choose the number of people, date & hour of visit -> after our validation-> pay on line.
Choose below your tour
You will then be asked :
- choose number of people, date & hour of visit
- after our validation
- pay on line
Orléans Private Walking TourStandard tour (1 hr 30 mins)
- For 1 to 2 people + 6€ for any extra
- A group of maximum 6 people
- Group exclusively yours
Orléans Private Walking Tour ExtendedLong Tour (3 hours)
- For 1 to 2 people + 10€ for any extra
- A group of maximum 6 people
- Group exclusively yours
Orléans Walking Tour for GroupsGroup of more than 6 people
- Price starts from 89 € for 1.5 hour Orléans Walking Tour for groups from 7 to 25 people.
- Extra costs may apply in some cases
Our Guided Tour Services in Orléans
Broaden Horizons Orléans
Val de Loire
Located at a little more than one hundred kilometers in the south of Paris, Orléans is easily accessible by intercity & regional trains (approx. one hour) from Paris-Austerlitz train station.
Your licensed guide in Orléans is the holder of card n° CG 17-45-05, he is a member of FNGIC which is a member of the World Federation of Tourist Guide Associations.